In this short tutorial you will learn how to set up XAMPP Apache Server to serve a different htdocs folder and how to solve the „Access Denied!“ error when doing so.
- Open XAMPP, stop Apache and click on „Configure“
- Click „Open Conf File“ and confirm with „Yes“
- Search for „DocumentRoot“ and replace the lines „DocumentRoot“ and „<Directory …“ with your new htdocs folder:
- Start Apache and try to open the page in your browser: Does it work? If you get a „Access Denied!“ message, follow step 5.
- If you get a „Access Denied!“ message, you can eather:
- Change the file permissions for your new htdocs folder so that the „deamon“ user(-group) can read and write to it
- Change the user with which httpd gets started
- Stop Apache again
- In the configuration file that opened up in step 2 search for „User“
- Replace the user with a user that has read and write access to the folder, e.g. your username (The „internal“ username that macOS uses („John Smith“ => „johnsmith“)) and comment out the „Group deamon“ line with a „#“
- Start Apache again
You should now have a working XAMPP Apache server with your new htdocs folder.