In this short tutorial you will learn how to set up XAMPP Apache Server to serve a different htdocs folder and how to solve the “Access Denied!” error when doing so.
- Open XAMPP, stop Apache and click on “Configure”
- Click “Open Conf File” and confirm with “Yes”
- Search for “DocumentRoot” and replace the lines “DocumentRoot” and “<Directory …” with your new htdocs folder:
- Start Apache and try to open the page in your browser: Does it work? If you get a “Access Denied!” message, follow step 5.
- If you get a “Access Denied!” message, you can eather:
- Change the file permissions for your new htdocs folder so that the “deamon” user(-group) can read and write to it
- Change the user with which httpd gets started
- Stop Apache again
- In the configuration file that opened up in step 2 search for “User”
- Replace the user with a user that has read and write access to the folder, e.g. your username (The “internal” username that macOS uses (“John Smith” => “johnsmith”)) and comment out the “Group deamon” line with a “#”
- Start Apache again
You should now have a working XAMPP Apache server with your new htdocs folder.